Tuomotus

Tuomotus

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Where did the time go?

Pacific Shores Motorcoach Resort
Newport, OR
54 high, 43 low, Sunny!


After realizing it has been over a month since I last updated the blog, I thought "Holy Cow!, Where did March go?"

We set off for Salt Lake City after watching the weather for a few days.  Wind was going to be a factor, something I hate.  We spent a few days with my folks in Central Oregon and headed off early to avoid a storm coming in.  We stopped for a quick overnighter in Idaho and took our time going into Salt Lake City.  We decided to try the KOA in Salt Lake instead of Pony Express.  The first night the trains blew their whistles I thought oh boy, we made a big mistake.  After the first couple of nights, we didn't even notice them.




We needed to go through our storage unit and transfer some of our stuff to our new unit closer to Newport.  A few trips in our car and a quick sweeping and mission accomplished.  I continue to be amazed at what little of our old lives we have left as we sold just about everything.

Our daughter is a teacher and her class decided to select the country of Palau for their Cultural night.  Eric and I spent three weeks there a few years ago with our friends on a sailboat.  It was the most amazing place to dive we have been.  The students were interested in Pilau's ban on commercial fishing and why it is so important to their economy and future.  I created a slide show of the amazing sharks and sea life we saw and one of the island of Peleliu so Eric could talk about the country's role in WWII.  Her students are very bright and had lots of really good questions.  Their section of Cultural Night was very colorful and they did a great job!




St. Patrick's day calls for Guinness and Irish song!  We got tickets to the Young Dubliner's, an Irish band that is not so young anymore.  Eric and Ashley had a good time, Nick and I thought it went a little long.  The concert ended at around 1am and we didn't get home until almost 2.  I haven't been out that late for a while.  It is fun to get out and enjoy life!

Our Seattle friends popped in for a visit on their way home from Arizona.  It was really fun seeing them and we always have a good laugh with them.  We tried a Himalayan restaurant and wow was it good.  Definitely going again when we go back in May.  We went to the Temple and strolled the outdoor mall across the street.  I had been having trouble with my i-phone camera so I stopped in to see if they could fix it.  The camera could not be fixed so a new phone was required.  Lucky for me, it was the day before my warranty expired so all was covered.  Usually for me it is the other way around!

After a too short visit we started watching the weather to go back to Newport.  We caught a good window on a Tuesday, stopped in Burns, OR for an overnighter and then off to Bend.  We love my folks place and I am glad I am closer to them than I have been in years.  The weather for our visit was not so great as we had snow and freezing temps.  If it wasn't snowing it was raining and the sun was shining.  Spring had not yet sprung in Central Oregon yet. We enjoyed our visit and spent time enjoying eating out and we went to the movies and saw Noah.  I can't remember the last time I was so bored.  It just wasn't my thing I guess.




We have been back in Newport for a week or so.  We have been busy getting things organized and just enjoying the beach again.  We have had some rain, but mostly sunshine with the temperatures going up.   We took a ride to Portland to look at the Allegro Bus we were seriously thinking about buying.  After looking again and looking at the price tag that comes with it, we decided to put a purchase on hold.  The prices are just way too high for me to feel comfortable with.  Instead we decided to replace our chairs with a sleeper and a reclining loveseat.  Certainly will save serious cash!
Gidget enjoying the sunshine

Trees are popping out with buds

My Rhododendrons are blooming

On the way back to Newport from Portland, we stopped at Duck Pond Winery.  We have driven past several times but this time we thought a stop was in order.  Eric took care of the pups while I did the wine tasting.  Lucky Me!  I ended up with a case and a half since they all taste so good.  I also signed up for their wine club which means I have to go visit them 4 times a year.  I think I am OK with that!


We also stopped at this little tulip stand in McMinneville and picked up more tulips and some berry popovers for breakfast.  I can't wait for all the fruit stands to open!





All around the resort projects are getting completed.  The biggest one for us was the road in front of us.  It needed some repair so they tore the whole section up and repaved.  It only took a couple of days and it really looks good.




Spring is here!  Our tulips are popping out, the hydrangeas are blooming and the rhododendrons are blooming!  Love being able to plant flowers and have them last.





So that was March in a nutshell.  April is here and we'll be off to Eugene as Eric has some dive certifications to take.  I think I'll do some quilt work while he is in class.  We are starting to do some preliminary planning for next winters travels.  Any places we just can't miss on the East coast?  Let us know by leaving your comments!  Happy April!



5 comments:

  1. Time does indeed get away from us ... have no idea where our March wen't and here we are already well into April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin I think it is hard to write a fun interesting blog if I am not traveling about. The daily life can be quite boring :>)

      Delete
  2. Cheryl, time fly by when you have so much to do even if you are retired and having fun. If you are thinking to spend winter in Florida, be sure to make your reservations now.There are lots of stuff to do in the East Coast, depends on your interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona Liza-I plan on reviewing both your and Erin Erkun's blogs from the past year to see all the amazing places you went. I started writing places in my notebook ;>)

      Delete
    2. Good, just send me an email if you have any lingering questions.

      Delete