Tuomotus

Tuomotus

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Of Caves and Quilts

Paducah Kentucky

We said goodbye y'all to Tennessee and all the fun we had there.  Heading North from Knoxville, we entered into hilly country in Kentucky.  Our Rand McNally RV Navigator took us the long windy way to Cave City, Kentucky.  Along the way I heard a little thump as we went around a curve.  Nothing big just like a bump.  When we finally made it to a highway I started hearing a new rattle coming from my side of the Beast.  I narrowed it down to maybe the awning.  When we stopped I looked up, the awning cover was gone and the motor was dangling.  Guess the bolts just came loose and it fell off.  We zip tied the motor into the awning.  I just love a nice rig held together with zip ties. 

We spent the weekend in Cave City, Kentucky at Singing Hills campground.  This was a Passport America park with a cost of $36.00 for two nights.  The rules were  many and made me wonder what had happened there in the past that led to such rules as "appropriate clothing must be worn at all times" and "profanity will not be tolerated".  Also this is a dry county so alcohol consumption must be done discreetly at your camp site.  No problem for me as I always wear clothes and I drink my wine inside.  ;-)

A long and winding road

Isn't this a cute little trailer
Mammoth Cave is managed by the National Park Service.  No fee is required for entrance to the Park, but the tours within the caves require a ticket.  The least expensive tour was $5.00 and was led by a ranger to the saltpeter mining operations and a little further back to a closed in sink hole.  It was interesting and the rooms within the cavern were huge.






We took the early morning Domes and Dripstones tour.  The stairs numbered 280 on the way down through narrow tight tunnels.  The grand finale was the Frozen Niagara.  The entrance was discovered in the 1930's and gave way to large canyons and drops several hundred feet down.  The tight spots kinda got to me at times, but it was worth it.  






Every quilter needs to head to Paducah, Kentucky to the National Quilt Museum.  Photos are not allowed in the museum, but they sell a book of the quilts on display.  These quilts were beautiful.  The new thread painting techniques were my favorite as they paint a picture with machine stitching.  On display were old civil war era quilts with all hand piecing and hand quilting.  There were quilts made with bright beautiful colors and crystals.  I enjoyed the afternoon there, buying the book for future reference.  

The Quilt Museum

Paducah has murals along the river detailing their history 

Another mural

A gentleman was flying several remote control aircraft along the river.  It was fun to watch them.

Of course, a bucket of KFC in Kentucky

Paducah, Quilt City, USA
We stayed at Victory RV Park.  We used our Passport America so the price was right at $37.00 for two nights.  It was a nice park, in the summer you could walk right over to Paducah International Raceway.  The down side for me was hunting season just started so you could hear shotguns blasting nearby.  The camp hosts a Big Buck Challenge and unfortunately there were lots of deer parts stacked near the entrance.  Yuck for me!

The next morning we headed to Sams Town in Tunica Mississippi just south of Memphis.  It was a last minute change in plans as I got an email from my Aunt Nancy that she and my Uncle Steve would be in Memphis for a couple of days.  We met for dinner at the buffet at Sams Town and enjoyed a long evening of catching up.  They have been in Germany for several years and it was so nice to see them.  A good time was had by all, even little Bandit the cutest and best behaved little dog.  Gidget would have loved to play more, but Mowgli was a little cranky about sharing his house.  After they left I realized I didn't take pictures!  I wish I had.  Next time for sure.


Next stop is Red Bay, Alabama.  Every Tiffin owner knows Red Bay and the Tiffin Service Center.  We have a lengthy list of must do's (like the awning motor cover replacement) and some things it would be nice to do (like a little paint repair from a couple of tight spot oopsies).     


No comments:

Post a Comment