Tuomotus

Tuomotus

Friday, August 22, 2014

Paul McCartney and Back to School

Salt Lake City, Utah
KOA temps in the 90's and humid

We spent two busy weeks in Salt Lake City.  It was like having a full time job again.  Our daughter is a fifth grade teacher (an amazing one, I might add!) in the area.  She moved to a new school this year which required a big move.  Blank walls and empty room + a creative streak = lots of work!  But first...

When I saw Paul McCartney was going to be in Salt Lake in August, I jumped on the web and grabbed the best seats I could get.  They were a little high up but at least no one was standing in front of us.  Being vertically challenged I have a hard time at venues when everyone in front stands, I might as well be at home.  The concert was great!  No opening act, just Paul singing his old classics and new material from his new album.  Everything from the Beatles to Wings to solo.  It was amazing that he kept up for over three hours without a break.  Loved every minute!



























After the concert, we waited for Nick to pick us up.  I was interested in the bus, not from a stalkers view, but as an RV'er.  I can only imagine what a great ride it was....


We had a great time at Beer Fest.  This was held downtown on Saturday afternoon when it was hot so the beer all tasted great.  I did not realize how many craft brewers there are in Salt Lake City.  I really liked one that had a 2.5% alcohol content with a grapefruit taste.  Very refreshing!  We wandered around eating lots of yummy food like Mac n cheese with bacon.  There goes our diets!  Overall it was a great way to spend an afternoon/evening.



A little nap was in order


We finished up Ashley's classroom on Monday just in time for Back to School night.  She had some great ideas which required a little thought and experimentation.  Overall her ideas turned out great and the three of us were happy with the results.  We covered old carts and bookcases with colorful contact paper.  We cut out vinyl letters and numbers for items on the whiteboard that stay.  Clothespins dyed different colors for homework turn in.  The directors chairs in the library needed some bright new fabric.  Not to mention the huge bulletin board in the hallway.  Ashley created QR codes for a classroom rules scavenger hunt for the first day of school.  Whew, times have changed!  Teachers I never realized how much work you put into your classrooms making it a fun and vibrant environment to learn.  My hat is off to you!

The library area

Critter Corner for the Bearded Dragon and Chameleon

The Birthday Board

The class Schedule

I learned this is a Concept Board

Volunteer Station and homework turn in center

Think desk

The bulletin board
The Grand Pets tried on their costumes for Halloween.  Charleston looked like a proper bellman instead of a flying monkey.  Beamish didn't mind his costume as much as Charleston loved his.  He really liked it, weird.  Schmoo is going to be the tin man, although I think he looks like Elvis in his silver jumpsuit.  Ashley will be Dorothy and her dress was completed just in time.  Nick will be the Scarecrow and Avett will be the lion.  I finished those on Wednesday and didn't have time to take photos.







Our work in Salt Lake City is complete.  Now off on our next adventure!  




1 comment:

  1. My mom and three sisters were teachers, so I have high respects for them that helps form young minds.
    Oh so much fun at a McCartney concert, I too is vertically challenge and never appreciates anyone standing in front of me :)

    ReplyDelete