Tuomotus

Tuomotus

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Oh Canada!

I shall try to make this humorous, let us see if I make it.

When we were planning this adventure, we thought the wonderful countryside of Alberta and BC would be spectacular as we drove by and stopped at quaint little spots along the way.  I guess our expectations ran a little high.  Still enjoying the trip despite a few little setbacks.

Alberta is mostly flat farm land with the Rockies in a distance to your left.  We were thinking, OK when we get to Dawson Creek the fun will begin.  Being the stubborn types we trudged on.  Dawson Creek is a nice town, but our timing must be off.  The campground had issues with water and sewer hookups when we checked in.  We blew the parks breaker when we turned on the microwave.  Eric is getting skill in locating the breakers and reseting.  The water issue was resolved a couple of days in, good thing we carried some water.  All in all a restful place, very accommodating.  We missed the museum, Alaska Highway House and the walking tour.  The plan was to go on Friday morning after our repairs were all completed.  We headed out early only to find everything was closed on May 10th for some reason.  Oh well, we may have a better appreciation of the exhibits once we do the Highway.

We did manage to explore the Pioneer Village in Dawson Creek.  Very cute setting of old homes and structures that have been relocated to the Village.


Where Burl Wood comes from.  





Mowgli wants to drive a tractor


Onward to Fort Nelson...





We were looking forward to the drive between Dawson Creek and Fort Nelson.  I followed blogs that were completed last year and was looking forward to seeing the Moose on the side of the road.  We saw one in a large parking area.  He sure was gangly!  OK that was a milestone for us!  The oil and natural gas plants that have popped up all over we very present here.  Some of the smaller RV parks have converted to full time workers and it looks like the companies have set up dormitories for the workers.

The hills are not quite as bad as I thought they would be, and we managed to maintain an 8 MPG.  Not bad, I'll take it.   We managed to get another rock chip in the windshield. *%$%!









The aspens were just starting to leaf out on the way.  The ride to Watson Lake should be very scenic with a stop planned in Tetsa for Cinnamon Rolls! 

We are camped overnight at Triple G Campground in Fort Nelson.  They have a restaurant here but I made a teriyaki pork loin, Risotto and corn for a hearty dinner.  It just sounded better than a dinner out. The temperatures are wonderful, right now about 65 degrees with a little overcast skies.  Perfect!

I did a very bad thing today and have a citation to prove it.  I got up while in motion to empty the little bit of trash in the front and got a ticket for no seat belt.  Very expensive, won't do it again ya betcha!  My very first ticket, Hooray!  Never been on my Bucket List, but want can I say?

Happy Mother's Day Mom!  I love you and miss you!  Ashley, it seems strange not to spend Mother's Day with you.  We'll do a make up Mothers Day when I get back!

Gidget says Good Night!

 

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! First time of read of someone getting a citation for not wearing a seatbelt. I try hard not to leave my seat while in motion, but sometimes it's just not possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Know! I was so angry at myself and irritated at the mountie. He had a choice to make and he made it. The violation is $167.00!!! Add that to the additional rock chip and it was a very expensive day. As my daughter says-The juice wasn't worth the squeeze!

      Delete
  2. Just checking in on you... loving the pictures. Dean and I want to go Canada. We will make sure to do our homework first.

    ReplyDelete